How do I register my son/daughter for driver’s ed?
Call us at 508.835.2333 or click the Driver Ed Registration link. Please note that there are two types of registration required. The initial registration with the Central Mass Safety Council office, to get started before classroom begins, is when you pay the tuition bill or a deposit(payment plans are available). The second registration is with Schedule2Drive.com, a third party road lesson scheduling system. This registration is done only after the classroom portion of the program is finished. Please be aware that the classroom portion expires after 2 years. All lessons must be completed before then.
Can I get my learner’s permit through CMSC?
No. You will need to go to the Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV) to obtain a permit. No appointment is necessary; just make sure to arrive BEFORE 4:00 PM! (also make sure to bring your birth certificate and Social Security card)
Do you have the RMV driver’s manual to study for the permit test?
I missed a classroom session. What should I do?
You will need to make up the lost time during the appropriate class session of the next available course. Please call us to find out when this will be possible.
Do parents need to take a class?
Yes, at least one parent must complete a state required 2 hour Parent Class before students can be issued a Driver’s Ed Certificate and therefore schedule their license exam. This class is good for five years (all classroom and driving lessons must be completed before the expiration date) and with proof of attendance you can apply it to your other children’s Driver’s Education. Please register online at our Parent Class registration page.
How do I schedule road lessons?
Once you have finished the classroom portion of the course (see instructions on our Road Lesson Scheduling page) and the 2 hour Parent Class has been completed please create an account on the Schedule2Drive website. Please read these instruction carefully before beginning. Please beware that the classroom portion does expire after 2 years and all lessons must be completed before then.
How do I cancel road lessons?
The same way they were scheduled: use the schedule2drive system and select the appropriate options.
How long will it take to complete all 12 road lessons?
Begin your classroom session when you are between 15 years, 9 months and 16 years. Obtain your permit on your 16th birthday, then spread out your road lessons over the next 4-5 months.
To give everyone a chance to find availability and to encourage practicing at home in-between lessons with us, the Schedule2Drive system may be set to require a waiting period between lessons, especially during periods of peak demand.
Why don’t I see any lessons for next month?
We need to receive a firm availability commitment from each of our 50 instructors, which is due by the 24th. Scheduling is impossible until this commitment is received. We definitely don’t want to schedule instructors blindly, and then later on be forced to cancel lessons because they have other commitments (family, doctor appointments, other jobs, etc). Please be patient.
How do I schedule observation time?
In the very unlikely event that you need to make up observation time, please call us at 508-835-2333 x127. Most students will receive more than enough observation time while completing the 12 hours of driving. Please DO NOT schedule “observation-only” lessons unless you have already driven 12 hours and have less than 6 hours of observation!
Why am I unable to sign up online for road lessons?
Did you already register as a new student? If so, make sure that you click “MA” from the drop-down state menu and enter your date of birth in mm-dd-yyyy format.
If it still doesn’t work, it’s probably because either:
- you are not activated yet.
- you’ve been deactivated for some reason.
- some other reason that we’ll need to investigate.
Can I be dropped off at home instead of at the pickup location?
This is a decision made by the instructor on the day of the lesson, and cannot be promised in advance. It is therefore best to plan on getting a ride home from the pickup location after the lesson is over.
I already have 6 hours of observation. Can I drive the first hour and end my lesson early?
This is a decision made by the instructor on the day of the lesson, and cannot be promised in advance. If the instructor agrees to do so, we prioritize by which student has completed more lessons. Therefore, even if you have already completed 8 or 9 hours of driving, you might lose out to a student who has 10 or 11 hours already done.
I’ve finished my classroom & driving sessions. Where is my driver’s ed certificate?
Once you have completed all of your lesson requirements in full, please call CMSC at (508)835-2333 x125 to order your Driver’s Education Completion Certificate. In addition to the students lessons one parent must attend a 2 hour parent class. This class is good for 5 years and can be used for future children when proof of attendance is given. The Driver’s Education Certificate fee of $15 can be paid over the phone with a credit card if taking the test at an RMV branch on your own or you can pay CMSC the day of the Road Test here. Certificates are issued by the RMV and it may take them up to 14 days to process the certificate. It will then be posted on the RMV system and can be viewed from their website (they no longer mail out hard copies). Check here to see if your Driver’s Ed Certificate has been processed.
How do I schedule a road test, and what will it cost?
When can I get my license?
You will need to fulfill the following criteria:
- Have a permit for six months(183 days) – get your permit on your 16th birthday!
- Have fully completed Driver’s Ed.
- Pass your road test!
What are the correct steps toward obtaining a driver’s license?
- Register for Driver’s Ed and take the 30-hour classroom shortly before turning 16 (must be at least 15 years, 9 months old). Classroom is good for 2 years.
- Obtain learner’s permit on 16th birthday at the RMV.
- At least one parent MUST attend the parent class.
- Register with Schedule2Drive ONE TIME ONLY as a new student. For further instructions on registering for road lessons, click on our Schedule2Drive Registration Instructions page.
- Over the next 6 months: schedule and complete the required 12 hours of driving and drive 40 hours with family. Every CMSC Driving School lesson is scheduled to be 1 hour of driving and 1 hour of observation. If the second student is a no-show, you will be given the option to drive 2 hours that day. In the very rare event that you have finished all 12 hours of driving and still need more observation time, give us a call to schedule “OBSERVATION ONLY” time.
- Make sure that your account with us is paid in full.
- Order Driver’s Ed Certificate through CMSC ($15).
- Pay $85 license fee to RMV. Optional road tests on Saturdays at CMSC are recommended, additional fee ($90) required. Ordering driver’s ed certificate, scheduling skid school lesson and scheduling CMSC road test can be done at the same time by calling 508-835-2333 ext125. You must complete ALL requirements before scheduling the road test and/or ordering the Driver’s Ed certificate.
- Relax, think positively, and pass the road test!
When do I receive a valid license to drive?
If you pre-paid the $85 RMV road test appointment fee no later than the Thursday before the test, (pay this at any RMV branch, by calling (800)858-3926, or on the RMV’s website: Pay My Road Test and/or License Fees ), you will have a valid license on the Monday or Tuesday after your test when the RMV examiner processes your paperwork. If you do not pre-pay the fee, you will have merely a stamped permit and cannot legally drive alone! DON’T FORGET: valid insurance is also necessary! Although we may be able to answer general questions, you should always consult your own certified insurance agent. Your new license information should be available on the Registry system (which is usually needed to obtain insurance) within 7 to 10 days. Your new plastic license should arrive within 2 weeks. CMSC is not responsible for mistakes or delays at the RMV in regards to processing your license.